We are proud of the role we played in the campaign to repeal the 8th amendment in Cork in the years running up to the referendum.
We ran dozens of street stalls on the topic in the year leading up to the referendum. Our members were active members of the Cork Coalition to Repeal the 8th and the Cork Repeal Action group. During the referendum campaign we worked with Together For Yes.
People Before Profit’s campaigning, carried out by the branch members and dozens of volunteers, included:
- Distributing 10,000+ repeal leaflets
- Printing and selling 1,600+ badges to fund our campaign materials
- Knocking on 3,000 houses; having 1,200+ conversations on the doorstep, totaling 240+ human hours of canvassing
- Erecting 240 “Trust Women” posters in Cork City and County (as with many other parts of the country, People Before Profit were the first group to get YES posters on the streets)
- Holding 30+ repeal stalls on Patrick Street over the year leading up to the referendum
- Hosting a meeting with Bríd Smith TD in Cork on the need to repeal the 8th amendment.
Cork South Central, where our canvassing was concentrated, returned a fantastic YES vote of 68.8%.
Some photos from our activities in the months running up to the referendum are shown below – click on an image to see a larger version.